This internship is in the Smithsonian’s central Office of Public Affairs. It provides hands-on experience in area of public relations. Regular responsibilities include conducting research, creative and strategic planning for communications plans and media relations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct research to inform media outreach.
• Build and maintain media lists.
• Assist with media relations, including responding to inquiries from reporters and drafting pitches.
• Assist in the development of communications materials including press releases, media advisories and media kits.
• Provide support for various types of filming requests and media interviews, including on-site staffing.
• Monitor news coverage of the Smithsonian to assist with daily clip reports.
• Provide creative and strategic support in building communications plans.
Learning objectives include:
• Enhanced understanding of external communications principles and the media landscape for museums and cultural institutions
• Creation of strategies, plans and creative concepts to reach targeted audiences
• Hands-on experience working with reporters
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Powerpoint
• Excellent time management and interpersonal skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work independently as well as in partnership with a team
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities
• Prior office experience preferred
• A major in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related field is preferred but not required.
• The internship requires 20-30 hours per week
Please apply via SOLAA.
Search for "Office of Public Affairs" and select "Public Affairs Internship."
Please submit a resume and respond to the essay prompt in the application. Candidates may also include a writing sample that showcases their written communications skills including a press release, media advisory, email pitch, etc.
For questions regarding this opportunity, please contact: Alexandria Fairchild, firstname.lastname@example.org