Communications & Marketing Intern - Curriculum, Digital Media, and Communications, Smithsonian Science Education Center
Project Description: Intern will work with Smithsonian Science Education Center’s Communications & Marketing Team to assist in the development of SSEC communications and marketing materials and assist in communications dissemination, strategy, and asset management. Interns will learn the inner workings of a daily communications team and how to apply developed marketing materials to enhance the SSEC brand. Learning objectives include:
• Assisting in the development of communications materials for social media. This task may include content creation, brainstorming social media campaigns, and identifying best practices across platforms.
• Help managing and cataloging SSEC’s digital asset archives with close attention to tags, permissions, and accessibility.
• Researching and understanding the Smithsonian Institution’s robust network of museums and centers and making connections to leverage SSEC brand awareness.
• Conducting additional research on social media best practices, website accessibility, and new ways to engage our broad audience.
• Copyediting content as needed.
• Help implement Smithsonian’s commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion by assisting in identifying diverse subject matter experts, creating accessible content, and considering a variety of cultural contexts to ensure the Smithsonian Science Education Center is relevant to a global audience.
• Representing intern’s own context and perspectives in collaborative discussions about the development of communications and marketing materials.
Candidates should have an eye for visual communication, social media experience, experience/interest in photo/video/writing/editing, interest in science/education/curriculum, and the ability to adhere to tight deadlines. Interns will be managed directly by the Marketing & Communications team and will receive feedback and guidance on their projects and content creation.
This will be a hybrid internship that will occur over a 10-week period between May – August 2023, and we prefer at least 20 hours per week but are flexible based on your current educational status. We accept interns from high school, undergraduate, and graduate levels. Stipend may be available for undergraduate and graduate interns.
To apply, go to the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (SOLAA) and create an account. After you have created an account, you can begin your application and select your first, second, and third choice of program areas of your interest (see program descriptions below). Your application will be automatically submitted from SOLAA to the SSEC for consideration. Do not send any application materials directly to SSEC!
Your application will be reviewed by the staff at SSEC. You can view your application status in SOLAA at any time. After complete applications have been reviewed, only selected candidates will be contacted by telephone for a phone interview. Please submit your best work for a complete application!
For questions regarding this opportunity, please contact Kate Echevarria email@example.com