How to Apply
Use the SOLAA System to Apply Online: https://solaa.si.edu(link is external)
- Register for SOLAA
- Select “Internship”
- Select “Office of Internships”
- Select “Smithsonian Katzenberger Art History Internship Program”
- Apply for 2023
ALL documents must be received no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time March 6, 2023.
Files you will need to upload:
- 2 pages double spaced
- 12 point type
- Must address the following:
1) Your past and present academic history and other experiences which you feel have prepared you for an internship
2) What you hope to accomplish through an internship, and how it would relate to your academic and career goals
3) What about the Smithsonian in particular interests you and leads you to apply for an internship – particularly the project you have chosen
Transcripts (or other materials when transcripts are not issued) from all appropriate institutions are required. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. If transcripts or other materials are not in English the applicant should provide translations.
- Names and email addresses of two academic references
- All reference letters are considered confidential unless confidentiality has been waived by the reference
- Through SOLAA you will send an email to these referees so they can provide references through the web
- Have the reference submit in sufficient time to meet the application deadline
- Substantial course work in Art History or related museum disciplines.
- Demonstrated interest or experiences in museums, galleries, libraries, or archives.
- Demonstrated research and writing skills, attention to detail, and knowledge of computer programs.
- The relevance of an internship at the Smithsonian to the student’s academic and career goals will be an important part of the evaluation of an applicant.
- Applicants should note that it is not possible for the Office of Fellowships and Internships to arrange an internship project or award a stipend to all qualified candidates.
- The Smithsonian does not discriminate on grounds of race, creed, sex, age, marital status, condition of handicap, or national origin of any applicant.